I was a member of team formulated by “Sugar Technology Mission” for study of Sugar Industry in Fiji and suggest remedial measures to improve its efficiency. My responsibility was cane aspect. The report was accepted by STM and Govt. of Fiji.
1986-1994: Director, Vasantdada Sugar Institute (VSI) Manjri, Pune (8 years).
Vasantdada Sugar Institute (VSI) is established by Co-op Sugar Mills in Maharashtra under the leadership of Late Shri Vasantdada Patil, Ex-Chief Minister, Maharashtra, and later Governor of Rajasthan. VSI is registered under Trust Act as well as Co-op Societies Act. Director is executive Head of the policies formulated by Board of Trustees and Governing Council. Besides, Directors responsibilities I also worked as Head, Agriscience and Technology Division. Following major work experience was gained during this period.
1) Prepared agenda notes on important issues related to Research, training, Development of Sugar Industry on all aspects i.e Cane production, processing, byproduct development and production, environment aspects (pollution control), Management, finance tc. And help Board to take suitable policy decisions / directives.
2) Executed the directives through various departments (Cane, Sugar Eng., Sugar Tech, basic Sciences, Instrumentation, Management & Statistics, by products, Environment Management, Training & Education) individually or jointly to improve related aspects of mandate and objective of Institute.
3) Got recognition to Institute as a Post Graduate Institute from Pune University, Mahatma Phule Agril. Univ for carrying out Post Graduate Education Programmers. The P.G.Diploma’s offered by Institute are recognized worldwide. Many foreign students are getting benefits from diplomas provided by this Institute.
4) Organized several National Seminars and workshops on important topics in various technological areas.
5) Evaluated technical performances of Sugar mills and suggested modernizations, expansions, procedural/ process improvements and monitored the projects through competent technologists/ Engineer of the Institute
6) Prepared project reports for establishing sugar by-product Industries, and supervised the erection, stabilization and running of projects.
7) Helped State Govt., Govt. of India, Sugar Mills Associations and technical bodies in suitable decision making as well as policy preparations.
1984-1986 : Chief Agronomist and Head, Agriculture Science and Technology Division, Vasantdada Sugar Institute, Pune (2 years)
1) Building up R&D facilities for sugarcane cropping systems at Institute, conducted several training programmes for Cane staff, farmers from Maharashtra, organized National and State level Seminars and workshops for Scientists, policy makers, farmers and cane staff.
2) Studied micro-irrigation technique for sugarcane and developed suitable package to suit various soil-agro climatic conditions of Maharashtra
3) Helped sugar mills to prepare cane development projects to improve cane yield and quality, cut down the cost of production to make cane farming more remunerative and guided in their implementation
4) Prepared Cane Development Proposals of member Sugar Mills to get benefits from sugarcane Development Fund (SDF) of Govt. of India.
Many Sugar Mills who followed Dr. Hapase techniques of Sugarcane production could improve their average cane yield/ ha by 30-70% and percent recovery by 1 unit
1976-1984 : Sugarcane specialist, Mahatma Phule Agricultural University, Central Sugarcane Research Station (CSRS) Padegaon, P.O. Nira, District Satara, Maharashtra (8 years)
Concurrently worked as Zonal Co-coordinator, Peninsular Zone, All-India Coordinated Research Project on Sugarcane AICRP(S), ICAR, covering 9 states in Peninsular India ( for 8 years), ICAR) New Delhi.
1) Formulation of Research policies, programme and conduction as well as guidance in the R&D projects to sugarcane Research stations in Maharashtra and AICRP(s) projects in peninsular zone of India.
2) Guidance in sugarcane development activities in Maharashtra through Sugar Mills Management. It included preparation of cane development plans, suggestions of production technologies based on research findings, training to cane staff of Mills/ farmers, organizing field demonstrations of technologies
3) Scrutinizing the research findings and preparation of packages of practices.
As results of above activities there was good growth of sugar industry in n Maharashtra State and Peninsular zone of India, as well as in North India especially in Uttar Pradesh & Uttarakhand.
1. Books – 5 (Marathi-4, English 1)
2. Research paper – 227
3. Popular (Extension) Articles - more than 400
4. Booklets; Numerous
5. Workshop, Project Reports – Over 70
Copyright © 2021 Sugar Man India - Sugarcane Consultant Dr Dnyandeo Hapase - All Rights Reserved.
Powered by Rids Infocom